Monday 15 October 2007

Tools of the trade;

As I'm hoping to diarise the actual process of recording the 56 Special album (as well as all the influences and inspirations etc, etc...) it seems to make sense to start with a brief introduction to my beloved collection of wood and steel and hi tech gizmos. i.e here's a list of me gear;

GEETARS;
Squier Telecaster in 'TV special' yellow (with Bareknuckle pickups)
Gretsch 6120 in green flame maple (2003 Brian Setzer model)
Martin J1 (6 string acoustic)
Simon & Patrick S&P12 (12 string acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (1974 - Sunburst)
Squier Precision Bass
Vintage Les Paul Special (single P90 pickup)

AMP;
Fender Blues Junior (15W valve. Limited edition tweed)
(although I don't use it for recording at the moment)

HiTECH STUFF;
Apple Intel iMac
Focusrite Saffire (audio interface)
Logic Express
BFD (drum software)
Addictive Drums (drum software - currently the drums of choice)
Line 6 UX2 (for amp sounds and vocal pre amps)
Rode NT1 Condenser mic (for vocals and acoustic)

A quick note about 'my drummer';
I programme every last drum beat and cymbal splash, I don't use Apple loops or the like. That's not say I'm against it, just that so far I've preferred to start from scratch. I started out using BFD but recently moved over to Addictive Drums cos I found a nice vintage sounding kit on there.

For no real reason other than to show off, I thought I'd stick a pic of me Gretsch on here. I'm finally getting it to sound ok in the recordings, so it's getting a lot more play lately... This one's a top of the range Brian Setzer 6120 model in green flame maple.
As much as I luv my Tele, when it comes to country or rockabilly there's nothing like a Gretsch to get 'that twang'.



This tune (another work in progress) shows the Gretsch in action.
Actually it is also a blatent example of reggae and rockabilly influences combining. It has a reggae intro and goes into a rockabilly verse/chorus. The guitars are pure rockabilly, however the bass part is reggae throughout, you can hear how they combine at 1:12 in this MP3 when the drums revert to a reggae pattern whilst everything else goes on as it was.

2 comments:

ally. said...

yeah but what about your haircut - you know that's nearly the most important bit
sounding good
x

ally. said...

well it would be sounding good if i could get the sounds working...